Wednesday 29 April 2009

BEDA the Twenty-Ninth: Attachment Issues

Salutations!

I have fifty minutes, and because of last nights idiocy, so much to tell you!

Firstly, let us deal with the title. Attachment issues - I has them. My job at the hospital, for any of you that don't know, involves taking food and drink to the patients and their families. I basically do the job of a waiter (and a bus-boy, dish-washer, sou chef, and medical orderly - it's actually really fun!), but in a hospital. Because some patients are there for a while, it's pretty natural for you to build up a little rapport with them, and to look forward to taking some of their orders.

Over the last couple of shifts I did, I built up a relationship with one of the elderly ladies there, who had spent her life savings to come in, to have a series of operations on various ailments. She was really so lovely, and wonderfully eccentric, and I quickly became her favourite, and I really used to enjoy going in to take her odd orders.

Anyway, after my little breakdown last night, my Mom pulled some strings with my boss (my Mom works there too, how'd you think I got the job?! I'm trained for nothing!), and got me tomorrow off, and although I'm really very relieved, I really will miss that quirky lady. I've given my Mom instructions to make sure she pays her close attention, and to make sure she gets her marmalade sandwiches at 3:00!

Also, on the attachment issues, front, I'm having real problems coping with the end of #BEDA. I know (I'm hoping, anyway) that the readers and friendships that I've gained as a result of it will stay, but I'm really going to miss it. It feels more like a conversation that it does a series of unrelated posts, and I'll miss the feeling of community that it gave me. 

I've decided I'm gonna post more regularly; I'm aiming for at least twice weekly updates, and I'm considering celebrating the mistake the FHM 2009 calendar (it was a present.. :P) made this year, and blog on Friday the 31st April as well.

This brings me to my next point. Inspired partly by a promise I made to Amy recently, I've decided to start (or at least make one and get so freaked out by the sound of my voice that I bury my mic and give it up for good) recording a podcast. 
Now, I say 'podcast', it wouldn't be one, as such. It would really be more of a recorded and extended version of this blog, uploaded onto something like RapidShare,  free for you lot to download if you fancy.

I understand that this is quite an arrogant decision. Surely my blog is enough, without having to clog up the internet with my semi-coherent mumblings.. Well firstly, I have very good diction, thank you very much, and secondly, well fuck it. Why not? There is something about spoken word that a written blog can never convey (accents, stresses, inflections for instance). I'd love to start up a comedy show like VLR, or something like DFTBA Radio, and if I could find someone to do it with, I get straight onto it (any offers, btw - Let me know!). But I'd still go ahead with this anyway. 

I would like to know your opinion, though. I'm not that self-assured. Lemme know in comments.

Love and ham sandwiches!*

xo
gb

*Mustard optional; Available on White or Wholemeal bread.

Also, Jack Conte is brilliant. Love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment